Sunday, January 1, 2012

1/1/12- New Year's Day Cure All Cooking

SO the new year has arrived and so have the resolutions.  The need to be better, more self aware and make less excuses are at the top of my list.  Also on my high priority list is to blog more... At a minimum once a week!  So please help keep me accountable... ;-)
Now on to the FOOD!  

I have had a low key January 1, 2012, my other half woke up very sick this morning and I have been playing nurse all day.  I tried to make the most of the day and ventured into the kitchen to see what I could whip up for him to make him feel better.  I saw that we had some malanga (a root vegetable similar to potatoes or yams).  I remember that this was the Cuban go to remedy growing up if we were ever sick or had an upset stomach.

Ingredients:
2 malangas
1.5 cup of organic chicken broth

Directions:
Peel the malanga's rough skin until you have a clean white vegetable that resembles a potato.  Cube and drop into a small to medium pot.  Add the 1.5 cup of chicken broth and boil over medium high heat for 30 minutes.  Make sure you keep an eye on the pot so that it doesn't over flow and make a mess.

Once the malanga is soft enough to mash with a fork, grab the immersion blender and blend into a creamy consistency with no lumps. 

Here's what it looked like:

As you can see I added some bacon for garnish and let's get serious... Bacon makes everything taste better!... =)

Later on the day I made the cure all chicken soup...


Ingredients:
1 Whole Chicken (Publix Greenwise Hormone and Antibiotic Free)
6 Organic Carrots
1 Head of Celery
2 White Onions
2 Tbsp of Oregano
Salt and Pepper to Taste
2 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 Lime

Directions:
In a large pot, place the whole chicken and cover with water. Add a some salt and the olive oil. Bring to a boil.  While the chicken is cooking, chop the onions, carrots, and the celery. Add all of the vegetables to the boiling water and let them cook in the pot for 45 minutes to an hour until the chicken cooks completely.  Then take the chicken out and remove the bones adding the chicken meat back to the pot of stock and vegetables.  Add the oregano as well as the salt and pepper to your liking.  Let the flavors blend in the pot for another 10-15 minutes. 

When you are ready to serve, squeeze 1/4 lemon into your individual serving and ENJOY!

This recipe works for when you feel sick and when you are hungover... =) 

Stay tuned... I am committing our kitchen to a Whole 30 challenge... Strictly Paleo!... Wish us Luck!
Happy Cooking!

The Accidental Chef,

1 comment:

  1. I so could have used that malangita and Chicken the last couple of days that was what was missing to cure this horrible cold I have looks delicious. Happy New Year!!!
    ♥ Noemi
    Fashion: Classy N Glamorous
    Travel: Across The Sea

    ReplyDelete